Work in progress

General news and announcements. Subscribe to the feed. Image
RomCenter
Author
Author

Work in progress

Post by RomCenter »

Some new on work in progress:
I worked last week on refactoring some part of the code. The final version will be more stable.
I'm now dealing with configuration part (injecting config class). This will fix problems with settings sometimes not saved.
Tuesday, I will attempt to rewrite the plugin tester in .net core/xamarin 32b/64b. It should work on mac/linux and windows.
Then I will start a romcenter command line version. This will allow to use romcenter in batch files.
Then if all tests are green, v4.1 will be released.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: Work in progress

Post by Wanderer »

Great news Eric. Thanks for the update. :super:

I have created a tool which loads a TOSEC structure in a tree and gives the user the ability to select one branch (computer system) and perform some action on it. When RC41 is released, i will add support for database updating from a dat file via command line.

Do you perhaps have an expected command-line syntax or not yet? I imagine it could be something like "rc -u sourcedb sourcedat"? Also, are you planning to have a switch to just update the db structure (i.e. "rc -us sourcedb") on RC version updates?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Great news also.
Syntax for commands are open. It will more or less be what you propose.
I can offer several switch for anything that can be usefull, from updating a db, adding paths or fixing rom.
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:19 pm
I can offer several switch for anything that can be usefull,
Great!
RomCenter wrote:
from updating a db
Yes please.
RomCenter wrote:
adding paths or
That could also be useful.
RomCenter wrote:
fixing rom.
This too (you offered all of these, how could i say no? ;) )

In any case, updating a whole system, is the major thing, so "updating a db" first. I will take into account that multiple actions could be performed on a selection and let the user choose.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Syntax for commands are open. It will more or less be what you propose.
That would be nice, i was wondering though what would happen if a user wants to perform multiple options on a DB. That way, my app would execute RC multiple times for the same database with different options, each time re-loading the DB. Not very efficient.

I was wondering if it would be more useful to have command line support for an "actions" XML, something like

Code: Select all

<DatabaseName>
<ActionsToPerform>
<Action1> <Parameters (... analysis required)> </Action1>
<Action2> <Parameters (... analysis required)> </Action2>
</ActionsToPerform>
That way, the database could be loaded once and all actions could be performed sequentially on it by RC in one step. That way, the database loading time would exist only once.

Well, either that or have the ability to support multiple action command-line parameters in one step. Having in mind that each action requires its own set of parameters... It could be tricky eitherway, but i believe the XML may be easier and safer to handle by RC (in case of multiple actions at least). What do you think?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

You're right, xml or json to describe action can be the solution.
About upgrading a db (because a new rc version comes with a new db version), rc actually does it when opening the db. There is no specific action to do that and you have no choice but updating.

I will provide a first version with only command line parameters, not actions, and we'll see how it goes.
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 pm
About upgrading a db (because a new rc version comes with a new db version), rc actually does it when opening the db. There is no specific action to do that and you have no choice but updating.
I think that a messagebox is shown in case of a db upgrade, though i can't remember if it's just an informational message or a question. In any case, if the command line is used, the messagebox should not be shown.
RomCenter wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 pm
I will provide a first version with only command line parameters, not actions, and we'll see how it goes.
Great. Waiting... :)

dixius99
Galaga
Galaga

Post by dixius99 »

Let me know if you'd be interested in having someone try it out on Mac.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Ok, I will.
Report bugs here.