How do I rename a ROM entry?

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
MarisaG
PacMan
PacMan

How do I rename a ROM entry?

Post by MarisaG »

When I click "advanced->Rename Files" or "advanced->rename roms" it just comes back to the menu and never asks me what I want to rename it to...

I'm on Win7 btw...
--- https://PSP.GamePlayer.club - Fan site for Sony PSP * PSVita handheld consoles

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: How do I rename a ROM entry?

Post by Wanderer »

Hi.

It will automatically rename it to the name that exists in the datafile for this file.

MarisaG
PacMan
PacMan

Post by MarisaG »

Should probably said I wanted to add unknown ROMs to the database. I have like 22 grey files I want to create entries for...
--- https://PSP.GamePlayer.club - Fan site for Sony PSP * PSVita handheld consoles

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

You could add custom dat entries in the datafile then. After that, you could re-create an RC database including them.

MarisaG
PacMan
PacMan

Post by MarisaG »

How do I create a datafile to import? Dont I need a SHA or CRC fore each file? Sorry to ask but I can't find any info on doing that...
I tried using the Datama tool and it does scan my files but when completed it doesn't have any files. My "ROMs" are all .iso files. Do they have to be a certain file type?

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

MarisaG wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:08 am
How do I create a datafile to import? Dont I need a SHA or CRC fore each file?
This should give you a way to do it manually (sorry, i don't know of any tools). It will generate a datafile which you can use as a template to create your own. In order to do that, you should enter in the .dat (or .xml) file the names of the files you want and the CRC and SHA (1 or 256, i don't remember ATM) of each of them. When you have it ready, you can create a romcenter database from it (File/New/Get data from...).
MarisaG wrote:
My "ROMs" are all .iso files. Do they have to be a certain file type?
Nope, you can have whatever you wish.

MarisaG
PacMan
PacMan

Post by MarisaG »

Wanderer wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:49 am
MarisaG wrote:
My "ROMs" are all .iso files. Do they have to be a certain file type?
Nope, you can have whatever you wish.
If I scan a folder with, say, .dll files it does list the dll's in it. But doesn't add the .iso files in the same directory. If any file types are allowed, why don't the .iso's show up? Maybe it doesn't like files over 800mb-2gb?

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

MarisaG wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:55 am
If I scan a folder with, say, .dll files it does list the dll's in it. But doesn't add the .iso files in the same directory. If any file types are allowed, why don't the .iso's show up? Maybe it doesn't like files over 800mb-2gb?
RC is made to primarily handle compressed files (zip, 7z...). It can also handle uncompressed .chd files. Those are the file types that are usually used by emulators. AFAIK however, there is no limitation to the type of files it can handle, as long as they are properly defined in a dat file.

You could try it out with one of your files and see what happens. If the files are uncompressed though, you may have to put them in a subdirectory in order for RC to understand and handle them. In that case, the name of the subdirectory should be the name of the game in the dat file. Haven't played with such a scenario myself, but if that's the case, i'll try to help from what i remember from past posts i've read.

P.S.: You can also try visiting the TOSEC site and getting dat files from there as a template. They may prove to be helpful.