RomCenter 3 report

General news and announcements. Subscribe to the feed. Image
RomCenter
Author
Author

RomCenter 3 report

Post by RomCenter »

Hi :mrgreen:

I would like to give some news about romcenter 3 as I'm spending quite some times on it actually.
So, I built (again :P) a new repair engine. It will allow more flexibility like managing samples and chd (not yet done). It loads also very quickly at startup: 5 sec for a mame set with 3 folders and more than 3000 files. :yeah:
It can actually load mame xml datafiles.
It is working quite well now for normal roms. I fixed more than 3000 files without problems (took 24 min, I don't know how cl*m*me perform... anyone ?)
But It still needs a lot of work. I still have to add corrupted files support, to hook progress windows and other gui items, add items level fix in view, add samples and chd support etc...
But things are coming nicely. I just finished removing all memory leaks.

I will do my best to post more wip reports, and as soon as I got something usable, I will publish an alpha for a test in the wild. 8)

If you have questions, you can post them.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Q-Marine
Pong
Pong

Post by Q-Marine »

I fixed more than 3000 files without problems (took 24 min, I don't know how cl*m*me perform... anyone ?)
I know. Fixing 3007 Files with clrmamepro (unzipped ROMs -> zipped MAME-ROM-Sets in another Folder) takes 2 Minutes and 53 Seconds.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

No, rebuilding is not fixing.

I made the test myself with the same 3300 files. It tooks clrmame 22 min to sort them (24 min with the wip rc 3).

I found also that the sorted files are not exactly the same in clrmame and romcenter 3...
I will check each differences to see who's right.
Report bugs here.

grotty74
Pong
Pong

Post by grotty74 »

Nice comparison, Q-Marine. :D

For me CLRMame is a nightmare because of its extremely unusual handling.
Things I find in seconds in RomCenter take me minutes to scour the manual for in CM :P

@Eric, stop worrying about "time races". :)
I think many things matter:
- CPU speed (and kind of CPU you use, single core, double core...)
- HD speed!!!

There are 10,000 RPM "Raptor" types out now, and of course they dash past the 7,200 RPM ones with flying colors :)
For me this is an "apples to oranges" comparison attempt ...

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Yep, you're right, but it gave me an idea of the 'usability' of the new engine.
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:I would like to give some news about romcenter 3 as I'm spending quite some times on it actually.
Hi Eric. Very happy to see that you've found time for RC3. Great news.
grotty74 wrote:For me CLRMame is a nightmare because of its extremely unusual handling.
Things I find in seconds in RomCenter take me minutes to scour the manual for in CM :P
Yup, forget about it. The one and only reason i dumped CLRMame from the beginning: RC is very user-friendly, CM is certainly not. It may do the job and have a good engine and all but compared to RC, you need a manual just to execute it! :)
grotty74 wrote:@Eric, stop worrying about "time races". :)
Eric, please don't stop worrying! :)

Ok, a better message would be "don't worry so much". 22 -> 24 mins, who cares. If it was 22 -> 44 mins, everybody would care! ;)

Have fun

W.