Temp files not removed from main drive: 90+ Gb hidden in Local

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
shinyknight
Galaga
Galaga

Temp files not removed from main drive: 90+ Gb hidden in Local

Post by shinyknight »

I did notice that my C drive (SSD) was running out of space...looked elsewhere for almost 100 GB, but could not find it.

Then I did download a software called spacesniffer, and found the culprit: Romcenter folder with 97 GB of data, in my C drive, under user/appdata/local.

The roms are on a totally different drive, Romcenter is on a totally different drive; so I am not sure why there is a need to move data in Local. If it is temp data, should be in temp, and removed once done.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: Temp files not removed from main drive: 90+ Gb hidden in Local

Post by Wanderer »

This is the default location in which the databases are stored and perhaps also the "recycle bin" folder in which probably the unneeded files from you "fixed" roms were placed and eating all the space. Check out your settings and do a cleanup, then perhaps move all those files to a different location (D: if you also have a larger drive).

In order to change the locations of files, try editing file C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\romcenter\RomCenter.exe_Url_zc4rtjll0qbsr3s1mka23dbcvv3amlcf\4.0.0.0\user.config

shinyknight
Galaga
Galaga

Post by shinyknight »

I see, but I would expect to see the DB saved there, not the uncompressed rom files.

Recycle bin from what I recall, has no physical space on the main disk; the files stay where they are, and space is freed only when the file is deleted (although you see them in the recycle bin, but that's just a symbolic link).

Although in the settings I did specify to not do anything with unreadable or broken files, while that directory was full of uncompressed rom files; like if the application would use that location to unzip the files and fix the archives, but without remove the files once done.
Just to be clear, there is neither rom files nor RomCenter on the C drive; everything is on a big mechanical drive; I would expect that any operation done on the roms would happen in the RomCenter folder/where the application was launched from.

I will modify the file as suggested, although would be nice to have an option, so you can decide in the application where to put these files (and if you want them deleted once done with the fix process). Thanks!

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

OK, i'll explain things so that you better understand how it works. Also, what i'm stating below is how RC4 should work and not how it actually works. If it works differently then there may be a bug hiding in the shadows...

When RC fixes a rom, depending on what fix operation is selected to run, it extracts from the zip any files that are not part of any game or may be corrupted or may belong to another game. Those files are placed in the folder defined in File/Options/Backup folder. This is done so that if the operation was not intended or did not work as expected, roms or even whole zips are not lost. This folder should be regularly and manually cleaned up by the user. In there, there is also an option to use RecycleBin as the "backup" folder, so that the user could perform the cleanup much easier.

I'd suggest you play with this a little and if you discover that files are left there when they shouldn't, discuss it here or report it as a bug in the bug tracker.

Cheers.

P.S. As for this:
shinyknight wrote:Recycle bin from what I recall, has no physical space on the main disk; the files stay where they are, and space is freed only when the file is deleted (although you see them in the recycle bin, but that's just a symbolic link).
RecycleBin files do consume physical space on the disc. When you delete a file, it does not release the space it consumes in the disc, it is merely moved from its current folder to C:\$Recycle.Bin (or whatever drive you're working on). When you delete it from the RecycleBin, it then releases the space it consumed (at least that's what is done in older OSs, Win7 for instance and i think Win8.x also, not dure if there are changes in Win10).