4.0 Beta 4 issues with romset 0.61 for mame

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
shinyknight
Galaga
Galaga

4.0 Beta 4 issues with romset 0.61 for mame

Post by shinyknight »

Hi

I did open a new thread, since this is specific for the issues found with this build of the application.

Basically, when creating a new database without clones; the rom scan stop after few hundreds roms; returning an error and is not able to continue the scan to the end. The same romset works fine with version 3 of Romcenter.

Also I would like to point out problems with the logs:

1) the log contains info regarding username and computer name; these should be removed and replaced with an arbitrary value.
2) The logs override themselves...once it gets to a specific size, the log file is just overwritten. Either the max size has to increase, or there should be a greater number of fragmented logs; so far I see only 1 log fragment and that's all.
3) the info statemens are plenty and very verbose; thousands of lines that usually convey 1 info; when they could be arranged in a more compact way (it would help you troubleshooting and users to help troubleshoot ); you may want to consider to put logs about rom parsing in one log file, and another log file with the instructions that the application is executing, including warning or errors.

To reproduce the issue:
- File menu -> create new database from an emulator
- Select Mame path (downloaded from the original site location), save data location in romcenter folder
- mame filtering: include all but clones. Filter all, Exclude both options
- UI says that it is importing 205K roms, wait for it to complete, the database will show 9315 games, when "all games(flat) is selected.
- press "add new rom path"; choose the rom folder for mame 0.61 romset. The app will read until it stop abruptly; like if the roms were all parsed. An error dialog appear, but it has no info whatsoever about the error. The game list show a variable number of roms between 180 and 210

IF you try to refresh, the application will run for quite a while, but then will return the same error and no new roms are add.

You can check the screenshot for the error message.
error.PNG
error.PNG (90.16 KiB) Viewed 18518 times
Logs show no errors; plus they get overwritten, which would wipe any kind of error that was even logged; I just see references to info statements about the roms names, I can post whatever is saved after running the sequence described above; but I doubt that it would show anything relevant.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Re: 4.0 Beta 4 issues with romset 0.61 for mame

Post by RomCenter »

Thanks for reporting. Bug report created.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Re: 4.0 Beta 4 issues with romset 0.61 for mame

Post by RomCenter »

I tried to import several thousand of roms without errors.
You probably have a rom with something special (special char probably).
Can you still reproduce the problem ? or someone else can ?

If yes, try to isolate a file, or a couple of file wich raise the problem and post them here.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.