RC3 RC1 - Issues

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Wanderer
Board master
Board master

RC3 RC1 - Issues

Post by Wanderer »

Some problems i've faced while trying to fix some roms. They were checked with RC2.71 and found to be OK but RC3 had a different opinion. :)

- So, while fixing them, i got the following errors:

Code: Select all

**Error: invalid request BLR at offset 281
function STRLEN is not defined
module name or entrypoint could not be found
This message also appeared when i tried to create a bad dump rom. Of course, the bad dump was not created.

BTW, the log window has no scrollbar which is a little irritating. The mouse-wheel does not work without a scrollbar.

Test method: i unzipped the contents of the no-installer RC1 zip file into a new folder and created a new datafile from mame 0.112

- After a couple of times i tried fixing the roms, two of them (which were appearing in yellow) became corrupted (yellow exclamation mark). When i tested them with another program they appeared to work normally though. For some reason, rezipping solved the problem. :shock:

- After the "fix" i mentioned above, a couple of roms are appearing as yellow on screen but all of their contents are green!

RomCenter
Author
Author

Re: RC3 RC1 - Issues

Post by RomCenter »

The strlen bug comes from a missing file in the installation :(. You did the correct thing by trying the no-installer which seems complete.

About the log windows, thank you for the info ! I noticed the problem, but didn't have time to investigate. You give me the solution. :clap:

The corrupted roms may be cause by the above problem, or an exception badly processed.
Can you reproduce the problem by fixing only these roms and send me a copy of the log content ?

Can you give me more info on these two roms appearing in yellow with the content green ? What is the info text ? Does these roms have something special ?
If you do a "refresh all", does these roms become green ?
Can you also reproduce the problem by fixing only these roms and send me a copy of the log content ?
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Hi Eric. Welcome back.
RomCenter wrote:The strlen bug comes from a missing file in the installation :(. You did the correct thing by trying the no-installer which seems complete.
Which file is that? Shouldn't i get it before trying anything?
RomCenter wrote:The corrupted roms may be cause by the above problem
I think so too.
RomCenter wrote:Can you reproduce the problem by fixing only these roms and send me a copy of the log content ?

Can you give me more info on these two roms appearing in yellow with the content green ? What is the info text ? Does these roms have something special ?
Can you also reproduce the problem by fixing only these roms and send me a copy of the log content ?
I'm preparing to do some tests now. The two roms are "plottina" and "plotting". Note that the mame version datafile i tried is 0.112.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Tried to fix airwolf. All roms existed except the bad dump (pal16l8a.2j). Here are the results:

Code: Select all

Fix incorrect rom files
TreeView selection : 1
Rom mode: split
Bios mode: split
Sample mode: merged
Plugin : arcade.dll
--->Test archives: disabled
--->Fix sample path
  only in sample split mode: skipped
Done. Samples files moved: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Import missing samples (pass 1)
  No samples to fix
Done. Samples imported: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Remove useless samples files
  Samples removed are moved to recycle bin
  No samples to remove
Done. Samples deleted: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Remove useless samples in roms files
  only in sample split mode: skipped
Done. Useless samples removed: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Rename files
  No files to rename
Done. Files renamed: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Remove roms (pass 1)
  No empty files to remove
  No roms to remove
Done. Roms removed: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Rename roms
  No roms to rename
Done. Roms renamed: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Import missing roms
  No roms to import
Done. Roms imported: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Create dummies
  Create dummy rom RC3\airwolf.zip/pal16l8a.2j
**Error: invalid request BLR at offset 281
function STRLEN is not defined
module name or entrypoint could not be found
  Update date and size of file RC3\airwolf.zip
  No dummies roms to create
Done. Dummies created: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Create ghost games: disabled
--->Remove roms (pass 2)
  No empty files to remove
  No roms to remove
Done. Roms removed: 0 in 0h 0m 0s
--->Remove files: disabled
--->Import missing samples (pass 2)
  No samples to fix
--->Rezip: disabled
--->End fixing
----------------------------------

---> Test archives disabled
---> 0 Samples files fixed in 0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Samples roms imported in 0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Samples files removed in 0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Samples roms removed in 0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Files renamed in 0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Roms removed in 0h 0m 0s0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Roms renamed in 0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Roms imported in 0h 0m 0s
---> 0 Dummies created in 0h 0m 0s
---> Create ghostgames disabled
---> Remove files disabled
---> Rezip files disabled

---> Total files fixed:    0
---> Total roms fixed:     0
---> Corrupted files:      0
---> Total Execution time: 0h 0m 0s
----------------------------------
Ready

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Wanderer wrote:
RomCenter wrote:Can you reproduce the problem by fixing only these roms and send me a copy of the log content ?

I'm preparing to do some tests now. The two roms are "plottina" and "plotting". Note that the mame version datafile i tried is 0.112.
Well, i have restored the original roms and tried to reproduce the problem. No luck. :?

I can't remember what i did to make this happen. Maybe it has something to do with the whole "function STRLEN is not defined" thing...

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Wanderer,

I created a virtual machine and installed a clean xp sp2 with romcenter 3 rc1 from the installer version (rc300rc1.exe).
I downloaded mame32 0.112 and create a database from mame32.exe.
I added a rom path with airwolf, plottina and plotting (full complete roms) and did some tests.

I deleted pal16l8a.2j from airwolf and let rc recreate it. No problems. No strlen missing.
I merge, unmerge, split (fixing each time all roms) with no errors.

I quit rc and rename romcenter/udf/fbudf.dll and ib_udf.dll (these dll contains strlen function).
I redo the test and get the strlen error, but no bad files, airwolf remains unchanged, yellow with the missing rom.

So: the rc installation file is correct, and the strlen is available on a standart installation.

Maybe you can check if all access are ok for the udf paths and dll (other sql and txt files are useless and will be removed in final version).
Which os are you using ?
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Win2K (SP4-2).

I did some tests too. I downloaded the installer version and saw that there are 2 or 3 dlls missing from the non-installer version. When i copied them in my RC folder, everything worked fine (no STRLEN errors anymore).

All the problems i've had, appeared after playing a lot with RC and receiving several "function STRLEN is not defined" errors so i guess something must have been really ruined in the database. I'd say we forget if for now. I'll do some more tests with the proper setup and see how it goes...

EDIT: DLLs Missing from the non-installer version:
intl\fbintl.dll
udf\fbudf.dll
udf\ib_udf.dll

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

You're right, dlls are missing in the no-installer version. Thank you for their names.

You can clear your current db by doing a 'tools/clean database'. This will export the current db, and import in a clean template db.
Report bugs here.

pnkiller78
PacMan
PacMan

Post by pnkiller78 »

I think I have found a bug...
I have some games uncompressed on folders, these games are mainly CD images dumped on RAW format (2352 bytes per sector), so their size varies from 300 MB to 750 MB, many times those CD came with audio track so the tracks are dumped on different files.
So, my issue is that there are some games in which the first rom (track) is not recognized, it appears in the datafile, the crc32 match the file on disk but RC doesn't see it and mark it in gray. In the previous version it was detected correctly.

Any idea??

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

- When trying to create a new database, if the database exists, RC just reports that it exists and stops instead of asking whether you wish to overwrite the database (as one would expect).

- I just created a new database from mame 0.124a. Before having a chance to add a rom path, i noticed that at the status bar it is reported that i have one green and three yellow roms! In the database filters i have set RC to show only green and yellow roms. Opening the "All games (flat)" branch, there are three roms and a bios in there in yellow color, all of them containing bad dumps! This looks like a bug.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Some more last-minute wishes:

- I just finished fixing a MAME 0.112 rom set with a 0.124a database. This process i did took a long time. It would be nice if there was a place (in the status bar perhaps) in which the progress would be shown in the following form: number of tasks finished so far / number of tasks the whole process contains. By number of tasks i mean any task RC may do (rom renaming, moving, deleting or anything else), if it's possible to calculate them before the whole process starts. At least that way the user would have an estimate of how much of the whole process has been completed.

- When some roms are missing from a bios zip file, the bios under the "bios files" database branch is shown in red color. Wouldn't yellow be more proper? It could perhaps be red if no roms existed at all (no zip file) and yellow if some roms existed but some were missing.

- In the log window there is a "clear" button. It would be nice to also have a "save" button in order to save the log instead of having to copy-paste it into notepad and save it from there. It could help in keeping versions of the log for testing purposes. Perhaps the default filename could contain the current date and time.

- It would be nice to be able to see the number of contained roms of database branches (i.e. "Original", "Clones, etc) when clicking on them. Perhaps in the space above the right list, where also the rom paths totals are shown...

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

pnkiller78 wrote:I think I have found a bug...
I have some games uncompressed on folders, these games are mainly CD images dumped on RAW format (2352 bytes per sector), so their size varies from 300 MB to 750 MB, many times those CD came with audio track so the tracks are dumped on different files.
So, my issue is that there are some games in which the first rom (track) is not recognized, it appears in the datafile, the crc32 match the file on disk but RC doesn't see it and mark it in gray. In the previous version it was detected correctly.

Any idea??
Can you tell me which datafile, and which game ?
Report bugs here.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Wanderer wrote:- When trying to create a new database, if the database exists, RC just reports that it exists and stops instead of asking whether you wish to overwrite the database (as one would expect).
Yes, and as it is not critical, I will keep this for the next version. :P
If you want to keep the same name, you can do an 'update' instead of a new. 'update' will also keep your settings and roms paths.
Wanderer wrote:- I just created a new database from mame 0.124a. Before having a chance to add a rom path, i noticed that at the status bar it is reported that i have one green and three yellow roms! In the database filters i have set RC to show only green and yellow roms. Opening the "All games (flat)" branch, there are three roms and a bios in there in yellow color, all of them containing bad dumps! This looks like a bug.
It is correct.
mac2bios contains 2 bad dumped bioses roms which can be created by romcenter.
comebaby contains a chd and a rom. The chd is missing, but the rom can also be created by romcenter (bad dump) -> yellow because partially available.
Same for ddrja and ddrjb.
Report bugs here.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Wanderer wrote:Some more last-minute wishes:
- I just finished fixing a MAME 0.112 rom set with a 0.124a database. This process i did took a long time. It would be nice if there was a place (in the status bar perhaps) in which the progress would be shown in the following form: number of tasks finished so far / number of tasks the whole process contains. By number of tasks i mean any task RC may do (rom renaming, moving, deleting or anything else), if it's possible to calculate them before the whole process starts. At least that way the user would have an estimate of how much of the whole process has been completed.
I have such think (progress bar in status bar) in my todo list, but it is not trivial, and will not be included in 3.00.
Wanderer wrote:- When some roms are missing from a bios zip file, the bios under the "bios files" database branch is shown in red color. Wouldn't yellow be more proper? It could perhaps be red if no roms existed at all (no zip file) and yellow if some roms existed but some were missing.
Like in rc2 ? I think about the icons color, and, with bios, samples, chd, roms and merged icons, I decided to do it that way. It is more clear and there was not enough differences between a yellow and red icon in rc2, in both cases, you need to download the ro, again. Now, if one rom is missing, it is red. If one of above rom 'category' is green (ie all samples are available for example), the game is yellow. It means you need to download something, but not all file. Maybe just bios, or main set, or chd.
Wanderer wrote:- In the log window there is a "clear" button. It would be nice to also have a "save" button in order to save the log instead of having to copy-paste it into notepad and save it from there. It could help in keeping versions of the log for testing purposes. Perhaps the default filename could contain the current date and time.
Ok for this one.
Wanderer wrote:- It would be nice to be able to see the number of contained roms of database branches (i.e. "Original", "Clones, etc) when clicking on them. Perhaps in the space above the right list, where also the rom paths totals are shown...
This number is available in the main status bar.
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:- When trying to create a new database, if the database exists, RC just reports that it exists and stops instead of asking whether you wish to overwrite the database (as one would expect).
Yes, and as it is not critical, I will keep this for the next version. :P
If you want to keep the same name, you can do an 'update' instead of a new. 'update' will also keep your settings and roms paths.
Right. I tried it and it works almost fine! :) Only one thing is not done. The name of the database that exists in the "datafile" tree branch is not updated. Closing and reopening RC does not help, the old name is still shown.
RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:- I just created a new database from mame 0.124a. Before having a chance to add a rom path, i noticed that at the status bar it is reported that i have one green and three yellow roms! In the database filters i have set RC to show only green and yellow roms. Opening the "All games (flat)" branch, there are three roms and a bios in there in yellow color, all of them containing bad dumps! This looks like a bug.
It is correct.
mac2bios contains 2 bad dumped bioses roms which can be created by romcenter.
comebaby contains a chd and a rom. The chd is missing, but the rom can also be created by romcenter (bad dump) -> yellow because partially available.
Same for ddrja and ddrjb.
I see. It is a little puzzling but i get it. While testing this though, i found something which should not happen. Even without having opened any rom path, when clicking on "rom files", some of the buttons in the button bar are enabled as if a path existed. There, the user is able to click on "fix" which actually starts the fix process but it is unclear what RC is doing in that case. Perhaps it creates the bad dumps but where does it store them?
RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:- When some roms are missing from a bios zip file, the bios under the "bios files" database branch is shown in red color. Wouldn't yellow be more proper? It could perhaps be red if no roms existed at all (no zip file) and yellow if some roms existed but some were missing.
Like in rc2 ? I think about the icons color, and, with bios, samples, chd, roms and merged icons, I decided to do it that way. It is more clear and there was not enough differences between a yellow and red icon in rc2, in both cases, you need to download the ro, again. Now, if one rom is missing, it is red. If one of above rom 'category' is green (ie all samples are available for example), the game is yellow. It means you need to download something, but not all file. Maybe just bios, or main set, or chd.
Aha, now i see the logic behind it. Yes, this is logical in roms branches, where there may be an existing "original" rom or an existing bios associated with a rom, but in the bioses branch where there are no other associated files with them? If some roms exist in a bios but some others are missing, shouldn't it be yellow denoting that "you need to download something, but not all file"?

Anyway, this is a matter of definition. I think the logic behind that is rather complicated for plain users to follow. Personally, i mostly care about the colors in the "rom path" branch but for some reason, the red color in bioses with some (not all) missing roms seemed a little inconsistent to me.
RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:- It would be nice to be able to see the number of contained roms of database branches (i.e. "Original", "Clones, etc) when clicking on them. Perhaps in the space above the right list, where also the rom paths totals are shown...
This number is available in the main status bar.
At first i assumed i had gone blind but that's not the case. Remember the bug where RC window was maximized but when closing and reopening RC, the window didn't appear at the top of the screen? It's back again. Funny though, it happens in a WinXP SP2 PC, i'm looking at it right now but i'm not so sure it happened in my other PC (Win2K) yesterday.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Wanderer wrote:Even without having opened any rom path, when clicking on "rom files", some of the buttons in the button bar are enabled as if a path existed. There, the user is able to click on "fix" which actually starts the fix process but it is unclear what RC is doing in that case. Perhaps it creates the bad dumps but where does it store them?
Fixing when the focus is on 'rom files' will fix all roms folders. Bad dumps are stored in the path being fixed
Wanderer wrote:Aha, now i see the logic behind it. Yes, this is logical in roms branches, where there may be an existing "original" rom or an existing bios associated with a rom, but in the bioses branch where there are no other associated files with them? If some roms exist in a bios but some others are missing, shouldn't it be yellow denoting that "you need to download something, but not all file"?
It would be inconsistent with other files/games. And you won't download one particular rom in bios, you will download the complete bios again.
Wanderer wrote:At first i assumed i had gone blind but that's not the case. Remember the bug where RC window was maximized but when closing and reopening RC, the window didn't appear at the top of the screen? It's back again. Funny though, it happens in a WinXP SP2 PC, i'm looking at it right now but i'm not so sure it happened in my other PC (Win2K) yesterday.
I never meet this problem, and I'm working on vista and xp pro. I will try to find someting on the net. Does it happen with other app ?
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Even without having opened any rom path, when clicking on "rom files", some of the buttons in the button bar are enabled as if a path existed. There, the user is able to click on "fix" which actually starts the fix process but it is unclear what RC is doing in that case. Perhaps it creates the bad dumps but where does it store them?
Fixing when the focus is on 'rom files' will fix all roms folders. Bad dumps are stored in the path being fixed
Yes, but when you have no rom path opened, shouldn't "fix" and all other buttons be disabled even when you click on "rom files"? Right now it is not disabled and you can click on it. The fix process starts normally. It probably does nothing but it leaves you with a sense of uncertainty ("why did it start since i have no open path?" or "did it 'fix' anything and if yes, what?")
RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Aha, now i see the logic behind it. Yes, this is logical in roms branches, where there may be an existing "original" rom or an existing bios associated with a rom, but in the bioses branch where there are no other associated files with them? If some roms exist in a bios but some others are missing, shouldn't it be yellow denoting that "you need to download something, but not all file"?
It would be inconsistent with other files/games. And you won't download one particular rom in bios, you will download the complete bios again.
As i said, it's a matter of definition. Since you designed RC, you know better how you've defined things. I thought it might be something you had missed. :)
RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:At first i assumed i had gone blind but that's not the case. Remember the bug where RC window was maximized but when closing and reopening RC, the window didn't appear at the top of the screen? It's back again. Funny though, it happens in a WinXP SP2 PC, i'm looking at it right now but i'm not so sure it happened in my other PC (Win2K) yesterday.
I never meet this problem, and I'm working on vista and xp pro. I will try to find someting on the net. Does it happen with other app ?
I haven't seen it in other apps. It just happens on my XP laptop. On my Win2K desktop PC it works fine. I'll try it again tomorrow. I'll delete everything and re-set it up to see what happens...

Also, another thing (you may have already noticed it). Create a database from mame. Open a rom path. Fix some things, then close and reopen the rom path. If you do that a few times, you'll see that the database size keeps increasing. Also, the process of adding a new rom path after a while becomes very slow. Perhaps a "compact database" command is needed...

EDIT: Never mind. CLEAN DATABASE. :oops: It will take some time to get used to the new stuff...

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Wanderer wrote:
RomCenter wrote:
I haven't seen it in other apps. It just happens on my XP laptop. On my Win2K desktop PC it works fine. I'll try it again tomorrow. I'll delete everything and re-set it up to see what happens...
Well, indeed it happens. I've discovered that it happens only on my XP machine and only if the "Auto-hide the taskbar" setting is unchecked. If it is checked, it appears normally. I have the taskbar at the bottom and its height is twice the default because i also have several toolbars there. Decreasing the taskbar height does make a difference (the window gets closer to the border of the screen) but it still does not appear fully maximized.

This is really annoying because since the window-height is not equal to screen-height, the window becomes centered in the screen (not taking in mind the taskbar-height) and the status-bar hides under the taskbar so the status-bar info actually become invisible.
Image1.png
Image1.png (28.14 KiB) Viewed 85330 times

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Ok, thank you. I check the rc source code, and did some changes which could solve the problem. Wait for the next release to give a try.
Report bugs here.

pnkiller78
PacMan
PacMan

Post by pnkiller78 »

RomCenter wrote:
pnkiller78 wrote:I think I have found a bug...

Any idea??
Can you tell me which datafile, and which game ?
Download the IBM PC Compatible datfile from this site http://redump.org/.
Create a new database from datfile in RC, then after adding a rom path, in some games the first track doesn't get recognized, RC calculates the CRC, it match the one the datfile, but it got marked in as Unknow (gray).
Green games examples: Medal of Honor - Allied Assault - Spearhead (Expansion Pack) (U), One Unit Whole Blood (E) (v1.21), Return to Castle Wolfenstein (U), Rise of the Triad - Dark War (v1.2b)
Gray games error examples: Blood II - The Chosen (E) (v1.0), Deus Ex (U), Kingpin - Life of Crime (U), Soldier of Fortune - Platinum Edition (U), System Shock 2 (U) (v1.0)

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

pnkiller78, try again with the rc2 and tell me if it's fixed.
If not, tell me where and how to download a ibm pc iso, I can't manage to get it from redumps site... :oops:
Report bugs here.