3.00 RC1 - bug - rom paths confused by SUBST command

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
XYZ
Pong
Pong

3.00 RC1 - bug - rom paths confused by SUBST command

Post by XYZ »

I tried out the new RomCenter with MAME, setting rom paths like "d:\mame\__roms__" in the D: drive (labeled "Data_Bck"), but when I ran this batch file with RomCenter open (paths edited, none overlapping the rom paths)

Code: Select all

subst R: /D
subst R: d:\r
subst P: /D
subst P: d:\r
subst H: /D
subst H: d:\h
subst Z: /D
subst Z: d:\zx
subst X: /D
subst X: z:\x
RomCenter decided that my rom paths have moved to "x:\mame\__roms__" and the like, logging this stuff (serial number edited):

Code: Select all

Media removed : R:\
Media added: R:\ - 1234-5678- Data_Bck
Media added: P:\ - 1234-5678- Data_Bck
Media added: H:\ - 1234-5678- Data_Bck
Media added: Z:\ - 1234-5678- Data_Bck
Media added: X:\ - 1234-5678- Data_Bck
The alteration is saved to RomCenter's database, which is quite inconvenient because I'm forced to remove and add back the rom paths.
Evidently, RomCenter plays tricks with volume labels, but they are shared between the SUBST'ed volumes and the underlying actual volume.

Is it done on purpose, for people with big ROM collections on removable disks that are mounted with random drive letters? In this case, the program should detect that there are multiple volumes with the same label and
  • give precedence to the unit letter the user actually specified for the rom path;
  • ignore all drive letters, within the set of overlapping units with the same label, that don't have the specified path, rather than giving a frightening "Volume data_bck not available" dialog box;
  • never alter permanently the rom paths in the database, and maybe ask the user confirmation for temporary "smart" replacements drive letters.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: 3.00 RC1 - bug - rom paths confused by SUBST command

Post by Wanderer »

Hi there.

In case you don't know, Microsoft has stopped supporting the use of SUBST since Windows 2000 i think. In general, they have said it's not good practice to use it. I still use it too and live with all the strange stuff happening sometimes. If your computer has a network card and is always connected to a hub/switch/router, you can use "map network drives" instead of using SUBST.

In any case, the behavior you are describing happens with map drive too and it's not very convenient indeed. As soon as i mapped drive F to my C:, RC replaced all open rom paths from C:\... to F:\... The fun part though started when i removed the mapped drive (having RC open of course). The drive disappeared from the rom paths as if they were on a disconnected drive. Closing and reopening RC though seemed to solve the problem but i can't be sure.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

I will improve this part in next version. If a path is connected, no need to check it. c: will remain c:
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

XYZ
Pong
Pong

Post by XYZ »

Thank you, I really wish to use RomCenter.