RC300a1 issues

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Wanderer
Board master
Board master

RC300a1 issues

Post by Wanderer »

Hi Eric and thanks for all the great work on RC3. I found some time to take a look at the new A1 version so here are some comments/questions about it.

- I've loaded the full MAME v0.111 set in the database from the datafile created by MAME and RC2.71. After closing RC3 and reloading it, i loaded the MAME database again. While loading, i noticed some errors in the right-side window (log?): "erreur: arithmetic exception, numeric overflow or string truncation".

- There are some zip files (i.e. 005, 40love, astrob*) that although RC2 displays them as green, RC3 displays them as red. "Fixing" them does nothing (the fixing process seems to think the files have no problem - which they don't of course, they are just displayed as red).

- There are some ZIPs that contain old roms, which are considered as unneeded files by RC. In RC2 though, each ZIP is marked as green but if you look in the contained roms, the unneeded ones are marked as grey. In RC3 though, the whole zip is marked as yellow but its contained roms are displayed exactly as in RC2 (which is probably correct).

- When clicking on a path (a long one), the horizontal scrollbar of the tree gets in 50% of the way. I remember this annoying thing had been reported in the past for RC2 and had been resolved.

- When you open the datafile branch, 4 new columns appear in the roms grid: R, B, S, D. Could you tell us what is their meaning?

- It would help very much in testing if in the next alpha/beta (if you are planning one), the red/yellow/green filter was working.

That's all so far. I'll keep looking at it and i'll report anything i find.

P.S.: When i first created the DB, indeed it took some time but i love its speed when i load an already existing DB. Much faster than RC2. :)
Last edited by Wanderer on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: RC 3.0 alpha1

Post by Wanderer »

Wanderer wrote:- There are some zip files (i.e. 005, 40love, astrob*) that although RC2 displays them as green, RC3 displays them as red. "Fixing" them does nothing (the fixing process seems to think the files have no problem - which they don't of course, they are just displayed as red).
- 005: For some reason, *.prom-u10-u20, epr-1286 and 6331... are marked as red.
- 40love: 415f.26 exists in the zip but is marked as gray (wrong CRC). The same happens with "animaljr.zip" and several others.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Wanderer wrote:- I've loaded the full MAME v0.111 set in the database from the datafile created by MAME and RC2.71. After closing RC3 and reloading it, i loaded the MAME database again. While loading, i noticed some errors in the right-side window (log?): "erreur: arithmetic exception, numeric overflow or string truncation".
I did what you did and I didn't get the errors.
- open rc 2.71 and import from mame (this will create a datafile)
unzip the datafile and import it from rc3a1
- close rc30a1
- open rc30a1
Is it what you did ? Did you load any folders ? When does the error appears ? Can you paste part of the report ?
- There are some zip files (i.e. 005, 40love, astrob*) that although RC2 displays them as green, RC3 displays them as red. "Fixing" them does nothing (the fixing process seems to think the files have no problem - which they don't of course, they are just displayed as red).
I found the problem: This concerns only bad dumped roms, as they use a complementary crc in rc271 dat (you can check that mamecr + rccrc = FFFFFFFF). rc300 keeps the correct crc. Unfortunatly, I can't detect this roms from the datafile. The solution is to avoid rc272 mame datafiles. Import directly from mame with rc30a1. It solves the problem.
- There are some ZIPs that contain old roms, which are considered as unneeded files by RC. In RC2 though, each ZIP is marked as green but if you look in the contained roms, the unneeded ones are marked as grey. In RC3 though, the whole zip is marked as yellow but its contained roms are displayed exactly as in RC2 (which is probably correct).
Yes, actually, the zip is yellow if something is not normal in it. Extra unknown files makes the zip yellow.
- When clicking on a path (a long one), the horizontal scrollbar of the tree gets in 50% of the way. I remember this annoying thing had been reported in the past for RC2 and had been resolved.
I know that, and it is not yet fixed :P
- When you open the datafile branch, 4 new columns appear in the roms grid: R, B, S, D. Could you tell us what is their meaning?
Rom, Bios, Samples, Disk. These letters will be replaced by icons. Note that these 4 columns are independants. Each icon can have a different color depending of the game status (i.e. You can have a green rom, a yellow bios and a red sample)
- It would help very much in testing if in the next alpha/beta (if you are planning one), the red/yellow/green filter was working.
Ok, I will do that before the alpha2.
That's all so far. I'll keep looking at it and i'll report anything i find.
Thanks you for your report. I was waiting for it.
P.S.: When i first created the DB, indeed it took some time but i love its speed when i load an already existing DB. Much faster than RC2. :)
Yes, it is really a good thing. :)
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:- I've loaded the full MAME v0.111 set in the database from the datafile created by MAME and RC2.71. After closing RC3 and reloading it, i loaded the MAME database again. While loading, i noticed some errors in the right-side window (log?): "erreur: arithmetic exception, numeric overflow or string truncation".
I did what you did and I didn't get the errors.
- open rc 2.71 and import from mame (this will create a datafile)
unzip the datafile and import it from rc3a1
- close rc30a1
- open rc30a1
Is it what you did ? Did you load any folders ? When does the error appears ? Can you paste part of the report ?
After doing all that, try adding the rom path. You will see the messages while the roms are being loaded. Here's a sample:

Code: Select all

Add new rom path
Add rom path [<MY ROM PATH>]
Loading 6361 files in DB
erreur : arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation
200 files loaded
400 files loaded
600 files loaded
800 files loaded
1000 files loaded
1200 files loaded
1400 files loaded
1600 files loaded
1800 files loaded
2000 files loaded
RomCenter wrote:
I found the problem: This concerns only bad dumped roms, as they use a complementary crc in rc271 dat (you can check that mamecr + rccrc = FFFFFFFF). rc300 keeps the correct crc. Unfortunatly, I can't detect this roms from the datafile. The solution is to avoid rc272 mame datafiles. Import directly from mame with rc30a1. It solves the problem.
Uh... apparently it doesn't. I did what you said (import directly from mamepp v0.111) but nothing really changed. 005.zip is still red and from what i see, other zips are red too (and some yellow). Also, all these zips do not contain bad dumped roms. In RC2, they all appear as green.
RomCenter wrote:
Yes, actually, the zip is yellow if something is not normal in it. Extra unknown files makes the zip yellow.
I think this is a little confusing. If all required roms exist inside the zip and are named properly, it should be green as was in RC2. It shouldn't be yellow if unnecessary files exist. That way we know that this is a proper (playable-as-is) zip. If it is proper but unnecessary files exist in it, it might be better if it had another color (perhaps light blue or a darker green than that of the proper roms without unnecessary files - a half green-half gray icon might be even better). Some people may want the extra files (some MAME zips may contain technical descriptions of the roms, which might be useful).

Some new things i found:

- When RC is loaded, "Close rom path" is active in the menu (even if you haven't selected an actual rom path). If you click on that menu, you get a GPF in French.

- When you try to close a rom path, you get a confirmation message in French.

- Having the DB loaded and the rom path added, i did a "refresh". At the end of it, i got a messagebox saying "arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation".

I performed the refresh twice and i got this error both times. I had fixed some badly named roms in RC2 and then i "refreshed" RC3. I noticed that the changed roms where removed and re-added to the DB. When finished i performed another refresh. That time, i noticed in the log that another file was added in the db, although i had not changed anything in it.

Code: Select all

6361 files loaded
Check modified files
0 files removed
Check new files
  Adding file buckrog.zip to the database
Adding filerom pr-5198.cpu-ic93 to the database
[P_UPDATEROMID]
[P_IDENTFILES]
-
PS: all tests were performed under Win2K SP4.
-

Also, another request if possible. Both RC versions appear as "RomCenter" in the taskbar. It would be helpful if the version was included in there (at least for the test period).

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Wanderer wrote:- When you open the datafile branch, 4 new columns appear in the roms grid: R, B, S, D. Could you tell us what is their meaning?
Rom, Bios, Samples, Disk. These letters will be replaced by icons. Note that these 4 columns are independants. Each icon can have a different color depending of the game status (i.e. You can have a green rom, a yellow bios and a red sample)
Hi Eric

Could you please add "Rom", "Bios", "Samples", "Disk" tooltips to the headers of those columns? I seem to keep forgetting what these columns are. :)

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

I added icons. It is more clear know. I also put hints on header.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.