Usage of DatUtil in RomCenter v3.0

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Logiqx
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Usage of DatUtil in RomCenter v3.0

Post by Logiqx »

Eric,

Moving on from the original idea of updating DatUtil from within RomCenter, I have created a sample XML file for you to ponder over:

http://www.logiqx.com/Tools/DatUtil/Compatibility.xml

As you suggested earlier, a new version number in the XML will indicate that RomCenter needs the new DatUtil (if that particular emulator is being imported).

If DatUtil needs downloading, the required information (filename, etc) is in the XML that I use to generate the DatUtil web page:

http://www.logiqx.com/Tools/DatUtil/DatUtil.ent.xml

Within the 'compatibility' XML document, I have also attempted to include all of the information that is required to handle the emulators supported by DatUtil.

Basically, the input file for DatUtil is either generated by running an executable (e.g. 'mamepp.exe -listinfo >tmp.dat') or directly reading a file that came with the emulator. If you use the XML file to dynamically support emulators, then I can potentially add support for a new emulator via a DatUtil release and XML update. :)

Logiqx

Logiqx
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Logiqx »

I've made a couple of additions to the XML this morning:

- Changed the M1 definition to 'm1.exe -d' (since m1.xml does not exist yet)
- Added RAINE
- Added Nebula Jukebox (which uses 'datutil -j')

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Ad_Enuff »

I think this is the way forward for RC 3.X onwards.

Then DATUTIL can be removed altogether.

Until then, RC needs to add a ckeck to Logiqx and check the version.

Logiqx
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Logiqx »

No, you've missed my point.

DatUtil is what makes supporting non-listinfo/listxml emulators possible so it can't be removed unless Eric decides to write RomCenter 3 to support all of the formats that DatUtil provides (like Nebula/Nebula Jukebox drivers, M1 XML, etc). That would be quite a waste of Eric's precious time. ;)

The listinfo/listxml emulators could be supported natively by RomCenter, if Eric decides to write a listinfo and listxml parser but that's why he decided to use DatUtil in the first place... to save himself some effort.

I think there is a case for native listinfo/listxml support in RomCenter but enhanced support for DatUtil (M1 XML, Nebula Jukebox, etc) is a simple to implement but useful feature. It is this enhanced DatUtil support that the above XML is for. The XML doesn't remove the need for DatUtil... it mandates it.

Logiqx

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Ad_Enuff »

Logiqx wrote:It is this enhanced DatUtil support that the above XML is for. The XML doesn't remove the need for DatUtil... it mandates it.
Ah ha! Now I see!