Unable to run RC 4.0.0 portable

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Milsancho
PacMan
PacMan

Unable to run RC 4.0.0 portable

Post by Milsancho »

Hello,

I've learnt the bad way that RC 3.7 is not compatible with recent MAME DBs, so I'm trying 4.0.0 as pointed elsewhere. The problem is I have to use an old offline Windows XP SP2 PC with it. After intalling .Net Framework 4.0 with no apparent issues an rebooting the system, I get thi mesage when I try to run the portable verion of RC 4.0.0:
ReflectionTypeLoadException: unable to load one or more of the requested files...

Any help would be appreciated.

Milsancho
PacMan
PacMan

Re: Unable to run RC 4.0.0 portable

Post by Milsancho »

I should correct myself, it's Windows XP Service Pack 3, running on an old Pentium 4 PC. It's likely it doesn't have all the Windows updates, though .Net Framework 4.0 installation showed no issues whatsoever. Are there other requirements?

Should I ask here instead?

https://bitbucket.org/ebolefeysot/romcenter/issues

I was trying to get up to date with MAME now I got a few days off, and this was a crucial part of the process. Has somebody tried RC 4.0.0 under Windows XP with success?

Thanks again.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Hi there.

Asking here is fine, there is no need to post to the bugtracker (yet).

Eric is on vacation, so be a little patient and he will check it out when he returns.

Have a nice day.

Milsancho
PacMan
PacMan

Post by Milsancho »

OK; thank you. Hopefully somebody else can confirm the usage under XP in the meantime, anyway.

Let me edit this just to add that the install version gives me the same.

Diman
Pong
Pong

Post by Diman »

Milsancho wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 pm
ReflectionTypeLoadException: unable to load one or more of the requested files...
Confirm the same problem on Windows XP SP3.

Milsancho
PacMan
PacMan

Post by Milsancho »

I moved this to a Windows 7 PC and it's running without issues. After seeing how's the new version, I think the reason for not working on XP might be the visual environment it now uses, but just my impression.

Given that I'm now on a more 'sensitive' computer, I'd like to ask which are the system folders RC uses and if it adds entries to Windows's registry, and how to locate them.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug, but no matter what I do nor where my downloads are from, RC fails to fix two particular romsets from MAME .212: 'atetris' and 'spyhunt'. It ends up marking the as corrupted files.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Milsancho wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 am
Given that I'm now on a more 'sensitive' computer, I'd like to ask which are the system folders RC uses and if it adds entries to Windows's registry, and how to locate them.
AFAICR, searching "Documents", "AppData\Local" and "C:\ProgramData" for "romcenter" should be enough, provided you have "installed" the no-install version of romcenter (the zip file). The only places romcenter puts its folder (a single "romcenter" folder with everything under it) are there.

The last version playing with the registry was v2. v3+ reads everything from config files.

Milsancho
PacMan
PacMan

Post by Milsancho »

Good to know, thank you!