Why do my ROM sets always vary so much between RC and CMP?

All about datafiles.

Moderator: Wanderer

Why do my ROM sets always vary so much between RC and CMP?

Post by Guest »

I've got a perfect complete set of 0.84 ROMs according to RC (which I prefer greatly); however, when I run CMP I get a missing ROM and several miss-named ROMs. What gives? I'm using the DATs from Logiqx for both as well as the latest versions of each. Any thoughts?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Can you post the differences here ?
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Logiqx
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Logiqx »

It sounds like you have got ROMs incorrectly named then. That kind of thing shows up more visibly in CMPro. The only difference that there should be is for galpanib, jdreddb, natodefa and vapotrp. Those 4 games don't actually have any ROMs of their own (all come from the parent) but CMPro wants/creates dummy ZIPs for them and RomCenter doesn't. The only other difference that you might find is that RomCenter will want dummy ROMs for the 'no dumps' and you can tell CMPro not to bother about them. Apparently some games work better without dummy ROMs but I don't really know anything about that!

Logiqx

Post by Guest »

It looks like all the mis-named ROMs were from no-dumps. CMP got rid of the dummies RC created, so I'll have to re-create those and re-scan in CMP to tell you the differences. There was 1 discrepency in missing ROMs:

From CMP:

Shooting Gallery [folder: shootgal]
missing rom: sg-01-0 [size: 2048] [CRC32: 0xf055a624] [SHA1: 5dfe89d7271092e665cdd5cd59d15a2b70f92f43]

Mame32 audit reports this as missing as well while RC with the 0.84 dat does not.

Logiqx
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Logiqx »

That sounds like a RomCenter bug then.

sg-01-0 has the same CRC as one of the resource ROMs but shootgal does not use the resource. The ROM must go in shootgal.zip because MAME will not load it from the resource.