To Dweezledap

All about datafiles.

Moderator: Wanderer

To Dweezledap

Post by Guest »

first of all thanks for your romcenter "modern" datafiles...
I have a problem, I own a full set of snes roms, but when i scan my collection with your datafile for snes, the audit says that i miss 280 games (bad CRC); the incredible is that when I scan my collection with the goodtool the audit reports 2500 missing games and the ones recognized as bad by romcenter dat are in fact good!
what should I do? delete 2500 bad roms? before upgrading to version 2.01 they were all green (good)!

Dweezledap
Street fighter II
Street fighter II

Post by Dweezledap »

Guest wrote:but when i scan my collection with your datafile for snes, the audit says that i miss 280 games (bad CRC);
First make sure you have the snes.dll file in your plugin directory. You can find it at the RomCenter download page.

The SNES datafiles was converted from a ClrMamePro datafiles created by Roman Scherzer.
Since I don't have the complete SNES sets I have no way to verify how accurate the datafile is.
I don't have broadband available where I live and it is taking me quite some time to get this set.

If you still have problems after checking for the plugin let me know.
Guest wrote:I scan my collection with the goodtool the audit reports 2500 missing games and the ones recognized as bad by romcenter dat are in fact good!
That is strange. I have to go to work right now but I'll try and thing of a reason for this, and post something later.
The only thing that comes to mind right now is perhaps it has to do with the change from crc to sha-1, or your cfg file needs some changes.
"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Post by Guest »

Same problem with the updated snes.dll, nothing has changed..

Dweezledap
Street fighter II
Street fighter II

Post by Dweezledap »

Quote from GoodSNES Good.doc:
"For all those following the never ending oddball format of the day for the SNES,
forget it. I removed all the extra deinterleave code for odd sized dumps,
double interleave code, BullShit (not BS) SuperFX interleave code, and a few
others that won't occur in the real world unless you are trying to make a bad dump."

Basically what this means is you need to convert all your roms to deinterleaved (binary) format.
A great tool for converting your roms is uCON64.

As for the RomCenter SNES datafile:
The SNES plugin has not been updated since before the 2.01 release of GoodSNES. This MAY be why it is showing the 280 roms as bad. A work around would be to remove the following line from the datafile "plugin=snes.dll".
Also you will have to use uCON64 to remove any header information, as well as converting your roms to deinterleaved format.
Plato.

Post by Guest »

thanks for your concern!
I downloaded ucon, now how can I "clean" up my roms collection? what is the correct input command?

Dweezledap
Street fighter II
Street fighter II

Post by Dweezledap »

Read the included faq.html
Most of what you need to know is in there.

Quote from faq.html - Q45:

SNES
Can be deinterleaved with uCON64 using the option -dint, but it is better to use one of the regular conversion options -smc, -swc, -fig or -mgd. Some SNES tools erroneously interleave LoROM dumps. These dumps can be deinterleaved with the options -gd3 and -ufo as well as with the aformentioned (SNES) options.

SNES can be one of the most screwed up collections because of all the different formats. It won't be easy but with a little time and some reading/research you should be able to fix your set.

I'm pulling doubles at work the next two days. If you still need more help let me know. I'll have some time this weekend.
Plato.

dbjh
Galaga
Galaga

Re: To Dweezledap

Post by dbjh »

Guest wrote:what should I do? delete 2500 bad roms? before upgrading to version 2.01 they were all green (good)!
No, you should not delete any ROM unless you're absolutely sure they're "bad". In practice this is more difficult than it sounds, as you've experienced yourself.
You should realise that what is considered good and bad changes. Some ROM dumps that were labeled as good by old versions of GoodSNES were later labeled as bad. IIRC the reverse has happened too (although rare).
Perhaps you could post some info about one of the dumps that were labeled as bad by RomCenter (snes.dll), but as good by GoodSNES 2.01.
Dweezledap wrote:Since I don't have the complete SNES sets I have no way to verify how accurate the datafile is.
Perhaps you should ask for testers.
Dweezledap wrote:The only thing that comes to mind right now is perhaps it has to do with the change from crc to sha-1
That's very unlikely. It's "just" another checksum algorithm. AFAIK there weren't any clashes with CRC, so I don't know how it could make a difference.
Dweezledap wrote:[GoodSNES quote]
Basically what this means is you need to convert all your roms to deinterleaved (binary) format.
That quote does not imply that at all! It just means that GoodSNES doesn't recognise dumps in non-standard made-up formats. Cowering's decision was actually a good thing as it may help getting rid of those files. I mean, making them disappear from the internet.
Dweezledap wrote:A great tool for converting your roms is uCON64.
Thank you :-)
Dweezledap wrote:As for the RomCenter SNES datafile:
The SNES plugin has not been updated since before the 2.01 release of GoodSNES. This MAY be why it is showing the 280 roms as bad.
The SNES plug-in has not been updated, because until now I haven't received any feedback that it fails. Besides, the plug-in doesn't have to be updated just because here have been some new dumps. It recognises dumps in all the known copier formats, so unless it makes mistakes, there's no need to update it. Please note that it's far from perfect -- it's not difficult to make it fail. But making it fail-safe is not worth the effort.
Dweezledap wrote:A work around would be to remove the following line from the datafile "plugin=snes.dll".
Also you will have to use uCON64 to remove any header information, as well as converting your roms to deinterleaved format.
*If* you choose to not use the SNES plug-in. It's true that having all ROM dumps in headerless non-interleaved format makes calculating the CRC value fail-safe. The problem is how to get all your ROM dumps in that format. I would use uCON64 (of course), but I don't recommend using that tool for this task to anyone. I would certainly keep a copy of the original files. Perhaps NSRT has a higher success rate, mainly because people use it for this purpose.
Guest wrote:I downloaded ucon, now how can I "clean" up my roms collection? what is the correct input command?
It depends what you mean with cleaning up. You *can* for example convert all files to SWC format (headered, non-interleaved) with a command like:

Code: Select all

ucon64 -swc c:\snesromsinallkindsofformats -o c:\snesromsinswcformat
You could follow that command with this command:

Code: Select all

ucon64 -stp -hd c:\snesromsinswcformat -o c:\snesromslikeiwantthem
The first command will convert all files to SWC format and put the converted files in c:\snesromsinswcformat. It leaves the original files as they are. I strongly advise to work with different directories (note the option -o).
The second command removes the headers from all files (-hd forces uCON64 to handle all files as having a header of 512 bytes, just in case) and puts the modified files in c:\snesromslikeiwantthem.
Dweezledap wrote:SNES can be one of the most screwed up collections because of all the different formats.
Right :-)
Dweezledap wrote:It won't be easy but with a little time and some reading/research you should be able to fix your set.
Exactly. And you'll certainly learn something in the process.

Dweezledap
Street fighter II
Street fighter II

Post by Dweezledap »

I should have stated that I am by no means an expert on the subject of SNES roms.

Thanks dbjh for clearing up some of my erroneous comments.
dbjh wrote:Dweezledap wrote:
Since I don't have the complete SNES sets I have no way to verify how accurate the datafile is.

Perhaps you should ask for testers.
I make it clear on my site that this is a converted datafile made by someone else, but you are right. I'll add more info about it and ask for testers.
Plato.