Path more than 259 characters

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Path more than 259 characters

Post by Wanderer »

Hi.

In a rom folder i have (admittedly a few folder-levels deep), the path on some files (with a rather long filename) is more than 259 characters. RC is not able to manage more than 259 chars. Most windows programs can't - i know it's a windows limitation. Is this difficult to change this, in order to increase the path character length in all file actions?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Re: Path more than 259 characters

Post by RomCenter »

Hi Wanderer

Unfortunatly, this is a Windows limitation and I don't know if there is a way to change this.
The problem is quite important because I had the same behaviour with ms visual studio during compilation !
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Hi Eric.

I believe there is a solution. Total Commander's author (you may know it, it's a file manager) has somehow overcome this limitation. I could ask him if you wish, to see if there is a direct way to overcome it or if he has done a workaround...

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

According to this post, it seems possible to create longer paths, but they can't be managed from Windows explorer.
I just tried to create some folders and I get an error when it exceeds 260 char.

Even if I can create long paths, they can't be managed by windows anyway.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

I see your point. Those lucky ones however who use a filemanager other that windows explorer, would appreciate it very much if RC could read those long paths (i have created a 350 chars path with TC and copied a file in it)... ;) Anyway, there is a workaround but not a very elegant one. If the path itself is not more than 259 chars but the files in it have long filenames, one can always create a junction to it at the root of the drive. I've used this technique with some datafiles in RC...