7-zip support

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
RomCenter
Author
Author

7-zip support

Post by RomCenter »

Hi all
I create this thread to clearly expose how you want the 7-zip support to be implemented.

So, explain what you want.
Independant 7-zip support is enough ?
Or do you need inter-archive operations (like unzipping a rom and 7-zipping elsewhere ) ?
Or convert 7-zip to zip and work with zip ?
When creating a new file, would you like it to be zip ? 7-zip ?
How to handle that Mame doesn't support 7-zip ?
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

romcenterfan

Re: 7-zip support

Post by romcenterfan »

I would like to see 7z support added in the same way as zip support already exsists. The 7z files are scanned and renamed both within the 7z archive and the archive itself. Many Thanks :]

AnDreF

Post by AnDreF »

Hello!
My suggestion is, if possible, is using the same compression method as torrent7z and updating the actual zip compression for the torrentzip format, an option in preferences, like the one "unzip and rezip", but as a radio button with the options "convert to 7zip" and "convert to zip", so every archive if is detected as a diferent compression rate or archive type would be converted. On the compression rate bar an option to choose the same in the torrentzip/torrent7zip compression rate, I´m not sure exactly how it works though, so this may be trick, but this way there will be no need to rezip or re7zip all romsets again. An option to convert a single (or multiple selected files) zip archived files to 7-zip, or vice-versa, would be nice too, but not essencial. But I guess each set should have it´s own archive preference, for exemple, MAME in zip, snes fullset in 7-zip... without have to change every time the database is changed, I´m not sure because i never actually tested, but my guess that the compress rate is this way, each set can have it´s own compress rate, the same way the set should have it´s own archive type.
Hope I could make my ideas cleary, Romcenter is great, thanks for the hard work and I hope you improve it even more. Bye.

romcenterfan

Post by romcenterfan »

Maybe just release the next update with the basic 7z framework for scan and rename, than improve on it later or as people request certain features. It doesn't need to be feature rich on the first release.

Backwards Amiga user

Post by Backwards Amiga user »

I just want RC to recognize a single 7zip-packed ADF, rename the file inside and archive and that's it.