newbie question

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
asuato
Pong
Pong

newbie question

Post by asuato »

ok I have the program installed. folder of roms is on the desktop. How do I get the roms into the program to be repaired? The *add rom path* is greyed out under the file option. I did the mame datafile builder for mame32 but thats as far as I can get. ANy help much appreciated :)

asuato
Pong
Pong

Post by asuato »

nevermind...just installed older version...2.62..and the rom directory path option wasnt greyed out in that one. new version has issues with windows sp2 I think.

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Ad_Enuff »

="asuato"]nevermind...just installed older version...2.62..and the rom directory path option wasnt greyed out in that one. new version has issues with windows sp2 I think.
errr...not sure what your doing or rather doing wrong, but I have 2.71 installed and are using XP Pro SP2 and it works just fine....

Also, v2.62 wont work properly with MAME anymore. RC has moved on since then aswell as MAME and so you NEED Romcenter v2.71 in order for you to verify your roms properly.

asuato
Pong
Pong

Post by asuato »

Well when I had the new version installed, I couldnt specify a rom file location because it was greyed out..so I couldnt import any mame files into the program to be checked. The 2.62 I still cant get to work right but at least it lets me specify a rom file. Is there some step by step instructions on how to use the program if someone has no experience with romcenter? Ive not been able to find any instructions in the help file.

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Ad_Enuff »

Well when I had the new version installed, I couldnt specify a rom file location because it was greyed out..so I couldnt import any mame files into the program to be checked. The 2.62 I still cant get to work right but at least it lets me specify a rom file. Is there some step by step instructions on how to use the program if someone has no experience with romcenter? Ive not been able to find any instructions in the help file.
If your verifying MAME you NEED to uninstall v2.62 and install v2.71.

Romcenter uses an external util callled DATUTIL.EXE and without the latest version you cannot verify your roms. RC 2.71 comes with the latest version.

Firstly, do that then come back for more help...

Rgamer123
Pong
Pong

Post by Rgamer123 »

I too have this problem.... I've used earlier versions of romcenter before and never had this problem occur until the v2.70+. Upon initial installation, the add rom folder directory is greyed out along with several other options. In the main window under game databases, it states that there is 0 games, sets, and resources. When opening the datafile manager, it shows that all the datafiles are loaded, yet the database in the main window doesn't register this. There are no branches to expand/collapse and no entries for any rom. And since the add rom folder option is greyed out, I can't seem to do anything.

Is there an entry or string I can add to the ini file to manually enter a rom folder?

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Ad_Enuff »

I personally would uninstall any old version first FULLY!

Then make sure your C:\Program Files\Romcenter directory doesnt exist, if not delete the Romcenter directory only.

Now, reboot and install 2.71 with a fresh install.

Try that and come back.

Rgamer123
Pong
Pong

Post by Rgamer123 »

When I mentioned that I used earlier versions of romcenter, it was before several reformats. I installed v2.71 on a clean install of winxp sp2 and encountered this problem. I then uninstallled/deleted directory and tried installing v.2.70, which results in the same problem again. So I am assuming that for me, this problem occurs from v2.70+.

What puzzles me is that this problem seems to occur with a handful of people yet it works fine for others running the same OS/configurations...

Also, before anyone asks, the add rom folder option is greyed out in both the file menu and when right-clicking in the main window.

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Ad_Enuff »

Have you ever tried clrMAMEpro?

If your having so many troubles with RC, I would move over to clr.

I know that works 100% for everyone.

antaresprime
Pong
Pong

Solution to "greyed out" options in menu

Post by antaresprime »

I found this out in an earlier post. Before adding your ROM folder to Rom Center (or at least being able to do so), you need to click the LONG drop down menu straddling the top center of your screen and select your emulator. THEN the "add rom path" option under the file menu becomes available.

Rgamer123
Pong
Pong

ding ding ding we have a winner

Post by Rgamer123 »

Awwww crap... so obscure yet so obvious... that fixed it alright... feel kinda stupid but to tell the truth, I would've never guessed it from reading the help files...

This little detail should be added to the quickstart guide for the current and future versions...

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Maybe it's not clear enough in the quick start guide... This is so obvious for me.

Anyway, this 'long drop down menu' won't be here anymore in rc 3.0
You will just use the standart 'files/load datafile' menu.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

bishy
PacMan
PacMan

Post by bishy »

I had this problem at first. As i installed the old one and it worked fine. then i thought i better get the newer one. and it was grayed out as you said.
I thought i needed to do somthing first. and eventually worked out I had to select a data file. But it wasnt that obvious.
Anyway, this 'long drop down menu' won't be here anymore in rc 3.0
You will just use the standart 'files/load datafile' menu.
Nice, will you make it so we can set our own names for these data files? If I can put a name like "Snes" id prefer it to somthing like "GoodSnes 0.999 for rc 2.5"

by the way. your program owns. I <3 it all the way!

Tosnic

repair files

Post by Tosnic »

Hi Ho
I have already found out about this, but now i fail in repairing the roms.
romcenter sais that almost every rom file does not contain any roms at all!
The others (the green ones) have been tested with the scanner, which tells me that the writing of the roms is wrong.
Any attempt to repair the roms (right-click on the roms -> repair/rename) resulted in the message: "no repair done".
____
BTW: how can i change the language? The program seems to have chosen the language of my computer (german). There are some translation errors for this language...
____
so how can i actually repair teh files?
and are there no datafiles for "exotic" emulators llike MAMEoX?
thanks in advance
=)
See ya
Tosnic