Fixed [3.00RC1 BUG] possible bug when fixing split samples

Bugs are now stored in a bug tracker application. Click on the "Support/Bug reports" link above.

Moderator: Wanderer

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Fixed [3.00RC1 BUG] possible bug when fixing split samples

Post by Wanderer »

Having split roms, bios and samples, i opened the Samples path as a normal rom path and selected it as the Samples split-folder in preferences. I added a sample file in it. It was supposed to contain samples for a game but it appeared as yellow in the samples path. Clicking on it, all the contained samples were gray and also the game's roms were visible as yellow-colored with comment "available in another game". I pressed "fix" on the path and i assumed that RC would delete the file. Instead, it moved it to the main roms path and renamed it to "game_1", probably because "game" already existed. This was reported in the log under "--->Remove roms files from sample path". Of course in the main roms path, the game appeared in grey. Is this behavior normal?

Also, under the database branch, the samples CRCs and size are not shown. Is this intentional?

RomCenter
    Author
    Author

Re: v3 RC1 possible bug when fixing split samples

Post by RomCenter »

Grey samples are not identified.
    Samples can only be identified by their name (no crc or sizes are provided, that's why they are not displayed in database node), assuming you have also identified the game of the file.

Why are they grey ? 2 solutions here:
    - Samples needed in this game have different names than samples provided.
    - Game can't be identified for the file (from the filename or roms contained). Without the game name, I can't compare sample names. You can see the game expected in the column 'expected name'.

I tried with 005, and have no problems. :?
    Eric - RomCenter developer
    Report bugs here.

Wanderer
    Board master
    Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:Samples can only be identified by their name (no crc or sizes are provided, that's why they are not displayed in database node)
    Ok, i kind of discovered that myself after extracting the datafile from mame. I also found something else though. There are several games containing sample rom "elim1.wav". elim2, elim4, some other clones and zektor. I placed in the samples dir a zip containing elim1.wav to elim12.wav. In the database branch, all elim* games appear green, zektor appears yellow though. All its roms are green but its samples are red. There is something strange here...
    RomCenter wrote:I tried with 005, and have no problems. :?
    I tried cosmicg and RC behaved as i previously reported.

RomCenter
    Author
    Author

Post by RomCenter »

Elim2 is the main game, other are clones. All the elim games use the same samples. So if you provide the sample elim1.wav, all elim1.wav will appear green in all clones.

You noticed zektor also use a sample name 'elim1.wav'. Is it the same ?
    Is '1.wav' of gmissile the same sample as '1.wav' of phantom2 or rollingc ? No.

Since there is no links between zektor and elim2, we can't assume they share the same samples -> elim1.wav is grey for zektor
    Report bugs here.

Wanderer
    Board master
    Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:Since there is no links between zektor and elim2, we can't assume they share the same samples -> elim1.wav is grey for zektor
    Sounds logical. In that case, under what conditions zektor will become green? If a zektor.zip is placed in Samples and its contents have different CRCs than the elim samples?

Wanderer
    Board master
    Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Wanderer wrote:If a zektor.zip is placed in Samples and its contents have different CRCs than the elim samples?
    Answering myself: apparently romcenter tries to follow this rule but it does not succeed. I've constructed a zektor.zip which contains samples with the same name but different CRCs than what exists in elim2:

- zektor.zip contains elim1.wav to elim11.wav
    - elim2.zip contains elim1.wav to elim12.wav

In the database branch, zektor.zip's samples still appear as red. In the samples rom path branch, zektor.zip appears as yellow (expected name: elim2). Its contents elim1.wav to elim11.wav appear as green now but in there, a elim12.wav file also exists as yellow (available in another game). If "fix" is pressed at that point, zektor.zip is deleted, so game zektor will never become green.

This one will be tricky...

Wanderer
    Board master
    Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Wanderer wrote:apparently romcenter tries to follow this rule but it does not succeed.

<SNIP>

If "fix" is pressed at that point, zektor.zip is deleted, so game zektor will never become green.
    Eric, any comment on that? Isn't it a problem/bug?

RomCenter
    Author
    Author

Post by RomCenter »

I did some test and so far, it works. I didn't do exactly what you did. I will try tomorrow. But I found another bug (a refresh fault which I'm fixing now).

More info soon.
    Report bugs here.

RomCenter
    Author
    Author

Post by RomCenter »

I can't reproduce the problem in rc2.
    Please give a try with the new release.
    Report bugs here.