Question about manipulating roms

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
kruuth
PacMan
PacMan

Question about manipulating roms

Post by kruuth »

Is there a way to sort out roms to directories based on either manufacturer or year? MFG would be preferred..

or..

Would it be possible to export the database to a CSV or some other file so I can add the manufacturer manually and throw it into a batch file?

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: Question about manipulating roms

Post by Wanderer »

Hi there.

In order to create a database, you use either an emulator or a datafile as a source. If the datafile contains the manufacturer, RC will probably import it since it has a column named "manufacturer". AFAIK, RC does not have a mechanism to automatically move files from a rom path to specific folders. You could do it manually if a MFG of Year filter existed but it doesn't. Perhaps it would be a nice addition.

For now, you can use the datafile as a source of all the info you want, throw them to a batch and manually reorganize your files.

Post by Guest »

Wanderer wrote:Hi there.

In order to create a database, you use either an emulator or a datafile as a source. If the datafile contains the manufacturer, RC will probably import it since it has a column named "manufacturer". AFAIK, RC does not have a mechanism to automatically move files from a rom path to specific folders. You could do it manually if a MFG of Year filter existed but it doesn't. Perhaps it would be a nice addition.

For now, you can use the datafile as a source of all the info you want, throw them to a batch and manually reorganize your files.
I've got a listing of all the Japanese/European/US roms for the NES by company. It wasn't too hard to find. What I'd like to do now is dump my romcenter listing which has filename, rom name, CRC, size, info, etc, to a CSV or something so that I can do something in excel and just have excel add the proper company to each listing. Is that something that is possible? From there it's pretty easy to just manipulate excel to make a batch file that will do it.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Guest wrote:What I'd like to do now is dump my romcenter listing which has filename, rom name, CRC, size, info, etc, to a CSV or something so that I can do something in excel and just have excel add the proper company to each listing.
As i said in my previous post,
Wanderer wrote:For now, you can use the datafile as a source of all the info you want
I don't think RC can currently extract all the info you want. The only extraction RC supports is what's under the "Report" menu, which extracts only the names of the roms. Your best chance is find a datafile and somehow extract what you need from there. It won't be as easy as having them ready in a CSV but it's doable.